Traditional Buildings

We can range the old houses of Naoussa in various categories, depending on their age and their mode of construction. There is, for example, the traditional houses that follow the common “Macedonian” style. Similar ones can be met in Veria, Kozani, Edessa and generally all around the area of Central-West and West Macedonia. They have been built early in the 20th century by locals and craftsmen from Epirus. The materials used are simple: stones, bricks and wood. They all come from the surrounding areas. These are usually two-storey houses and have an inner courtyard. In the courtyard there are warehouses and stables. The door is made ​​of wood or metal in order to protect the house. On the ground floor there are large spacesq cellars, warehouses, stables. The first floor was the winter residence with low ceiling rooms. The people of Naoussa spent the winter there, around the fireplace, sitting in the minderia (low sofas) and drinking the local red wine. The second floor is occupied by the cool summer rooms. It often protrudes (sahnisi) in order to be as sunny as possible.
Another category of traditional houses are those who simply have their facades covered with decorative bricks. The doors are arched, metal or wood.
The third category includes houses with neoclassical features. Usually they are newer than the previous ones and made ​​of stone.On the facade, there are embossed decorative features, and on the inside, large rooms, internal staircase etc.
Most traditional houses of Naoussa are linked to the history of our town. Many of them were inhabited by great heroes of the revolution of 1822, the Macedonian struggle etc. Some even had crenels and bars on the windows to protect them from raids by the Turkish conqueror.
(Source: http://www.maknea.gr/τα-παραδοσιακά-σπίτια-της-νάουσας/)

 


A. House of Mouggris
It is an urban three-storey traditional building with a courtyard that occupies a double cornered land situated on Armatolon Square (Pouliana) and Sophroniou and Patriarch Athenagoras Streets, in the neibourghood “Metamorphosis” in Naoussa. It is classified as preservable, according to the decision No. 1221/29-4-2002 (GG 428/D/14-5-2002) of the Minister of Macedonia – Thrace. The date of construction is not supported by any source, but it is implicitly placed in the last quarter of the 19th century, a time of economic prosperity of the town. It was once the residence of the family members Mouggris, up until the end of the 70ies, while particularly associated with the era of the Macedonian Struggle, hosting and hiding several times the protagonists of that period.
The building occupies the western part of the land at the intersection of Sophroniou and Patriarch Athenagoras Streets with Armatolon Square, while the remaining portion of the property is a garden, the level of which is approximately 0.20 m. higher than the level of Sophroniou Street, were the access to the building is situated.
It follows the typical features of urban Macedonian houses of the 19th century. It combines masonry on the ground and first floor and tsatma technique on the second floor. On the first floor there is a covered porch (semi-open area) and on the second floor triangular enclosed balconies (sahnisia). The tiled roof extends around the building. It maintains remarkable typological and morphological features and is part of a valued traditional set.
The ground floor, with a total area of 207.57 m2, is stonebuilt with a wall thickness of about 0.70 m. to the sides of Sophroniou, Athenagoras Str. and Armatolon Square, and thinner walls of about 0.20-0.25 m. to the side of the courtyard. It includes a covered semi-outdoor space, prolonging the courtyard, the entrance to the floors, the unformed storage area as well as a space with independent access from Armatolon Square, formerly used as a small shop or warehouse.
The first floor, of a total area of 207.57 m2, is also stonebuilt at the corresponding sections above the ground, while the other walls are made ​​of thinner composite stone and wood construction. It includes a small parlor, where the staircase from the ground floor ends up. It is the place where a monumental wooden staircase with lathing railings leading to the floor starts. It also includes a main winter living room with a fireplace, the kitchen and, between the two, a side-room (παρακέλι), accessible from both areas, which has been transformed into a place of hygiene. At the same level, a large semi-covered area (porch) opens up, facing the courtyard and the auxiliary storage spaces accompanying it. All these areas, which have lower height than the rest of the main rooms of the first floor, were used as a silk mill for the processing of silkworm cocoons, and therefore they are quite untidy, without artificial ceilings and large windows.
The clear height of the main areas of the floor is approximately 3.00 m. and the ceiling consists of thin boards and friezes, while the height of auxiliary spaces in the silk mill reaches 2.50 m.
The second floor, of a total area of 211.52 m2, has a stonewall facing P. Athenagoras Street, while the other walls, external and internal, are thinner, made ​​of a composite stone and wood construction, creating strong architectural protrusions (sahnisi) to Sophroniou Street. It is divided into two major levels; with a level difference of about 0.70 m., which communicate through a ladder, and include a large hall on the south side and four high-ceiling rooms, in each of which there is a fireplace, and between them the same number of side-rooms (parakelia), with entrances from the rooms. The lack of leveling of the floors is repeated for the ceilings and, certainly, for the corresponding rooftops. The clear height of the floor spaces is approximately 3.30 m. and the ceiling consists of thin boards and laths.
The entrance doors to all rooms of the floors are typically double-paneled, with attentive chesting. Usually, only one panel is used, while the other remains fixed, and only opens in order to transport furniture etc.
The whole building is covered by two wooden tile roofs, in different heights as mentioned above, with a large perimetrical protrusion.
b. Morphology
In terms of form, the facades at Sophroniou and Athenagoras Streets, as well as at Armatolon Square, exhibit an extremely interesting morphological articulation, characteristic of urban houses in Naoussa of the 19th century.
The ground floor, apart from the large wooden entrance door to the courtyard, has extremely rare openings, particularly to Armatolon Square, and two small ventilation skylights to Athenagoras Street. The first floor, with stonebuilt exterior walls as mentioned above, has four main windows with retractable glass doors to the side of the Sophroniou Street and Armatolon Square, while on the side of Athenagoras Street there are only two regular windows at the kitchen area and ventilation skylights, without glass doors, for the needs of the silk mill. The second floor, constructed, as mentioned, with a complex stone and wood coated construction (except from the side of Athenagoras Street that is stonebuilt, but also coated), forms triangular protrusions (sahnisi), helping somewhat in the squaring of some areas of the floor.
These protrusions are supported by wooden lateral struts. On this floor, a series of openings (windows) open up to all sides, with approximately the same width-to-height ratio (1:2), with retractable panels. All windows have wooden sills made of thin boards. The edges of the walls, vertical and horizontal, are highlighted by thin boards of a corresponding form.
At the facade to the courtyard, on the level of the second floor, there are two rows of windows (four per level), of which three are closed, with their wooden framework preserved. There is another regular window to the courtyard on the first floor, while the other openings of the enclosed areas of the silk mill facing the porch, like the other openings of the stores on the ground floor, do not have glass windows. These openings combined with the wooden rails and other elements in the porch of the first floor constitute an extremely interesting structure and morphology within the courtyard, where the building “opens” to the south, while maintaining the fortress, defensive nature of the outer perimeter.
The main structural features of the building is the perimetrical stonestructure which, accompanied by the wooden floor frame (columns and beams made from chestnut wood connected by metal nails and special tenons) and the internal partition walls, form the supporting structure. It should be noted that the combination of the relatively rigid stonestructure and the elastic wooden frame gave the building flexibility and a natural frequency that allowed it to withstand earthquakes for a period of over 100 years.
Source: A. Economou, Building “Mouggri”, An old mansion in Naoussa waiting for restoration, Niaousta, Vol. 126, January-March 2009 [http://medusa.libver.gr/bitstream/123456789/3674/7/Niaousta126-005ktirio_mougri.pdf])

 

 

 


B. Petrino – Vetlans Naias
Petrino – Vetlans Naias is a two-storey building (ground floor and first floor) with a wooden roof. Its morphology suggests the particular importance of its previous use (administration building – offices of Vetlans). It was incorporated in the main building of Vetlans (Hospital Street) at around 1970. The entire building, with its axis of large dimensions, overlooks the bed of Arapitsa and the City Park. It is located next to an irrigation dam. The total area of ​​each floor is 279.00 m2.
The ground floor of the building already existed and constituted until recently a machinery area. The floor was built over the pre-existing ground floor which was covered with sandstone (of about 10 cm. thick) as if it was normal stonework with wooden frames of a traditional style. In the new floor, the structure consists of brickwork alternating with vertical wooden elements and large window openings. Also, it has architectural protrusions of about 40 cm. of the type “sahnisi” and a semi-outdoor space type “sun porch”. The floor was the central office space and its interior is invested with wood paneling from american conifer trees of high quality.
There are extremely interesting elements, and strongly evocative of Traditional Macedonian Architecture while clearly giving the sense of the new.
The maintenance and reuse of this building of office space was realized, turning into an area for multiple artistic activities, especially in an exhibition form (ground floor), with all the necessary areas of administration (ground floor). In the context of the project, the maintenance of the existing precious wood decoration was provided for, because of its good condition and because of its qualification as a very good example of architectural and decorative creation.

The Vetlans factory history
Vetlans Naoussa was one of the most famous factories and manufactured woolen cloth for the needs of the army. It was established in 1907 and fully processed wool, producing woolen cloth. The factory operated until 1938, and the facilities were destroyed in 1949. The new factory was built in the same place at the end of the 60ies and produced the famous blankets VETLANS-NAOUSA. The factory blooms and inundates the market with blankets after 1950. But de-industrialisation affects Greece and Naoussa with it in the 1980s. The factory was closed and abandoned.

Transformation into a cultural center
Today, in the era of de-industrialization, one of the historical factories of Naoussa, Vetlans, is converted to a Documentation Center of Industrial History of the region. A modern work, where visitors of the city will be able to learn, in a museum facility, the great contribution to Naoussa of the Textile industry for more than a century. At the exhibition areas of the documentation center there will be exhibits from all factories of Naoussa and the wider region: old machinery, machine parts, tools, etc., as well as photographs of the buildings, the people and elements of the great industrial tradition of the city. In the Library with specialized content, any existing files of industries and records of oral testimony workers etc. will be collected and stored. In the cafeteria overlooking the river, visitors will be able to calm down listening to the sound of the river and observing the abundant vegetation that dominates.
The great project of reuse of the former factory “Vetlans” as an place for culture, for tourism promotion as well as for administrative activities, which is embodied in the integrated design for the enhancement and consolidation of the urban area of Naoussa along with a number of other complementary and compatible projects, includes:
• The new Municipal Library.
• The Art Workshops of Naoussa.
• A hall of lecture & projection with a capacity of about 130 seats.
• The new Citizens Service Center (CSC) of Naoussa.
• A tourist information office with the use of modern technological tools.
• A refreshment area – kiosk overlooking the valley.
• Restrooms, warehouses.
• Outside car parking lots.

(Sources: http://www.dimotikiananeosi.gr/έργα/πολιτιστικες-υποδομες/επαναχρηση-πρωην-βιομηχανικου-κτιριου-βετλανς-σε-πολυχωρο-πολιτισμου
http://www.dimotikiananeosi.gr/έργα/πολιτιστικες-υποδομες/πετρινο-βετλανς-ναϊαςThe Industrial Heritage of Naoussa, Naoussa Environmental Education Center:
http://kpenaousas.gr/el/θεματικά-δίκτυα/βιομηχανική-κληρονομιά)

 

 


C. “Conaki” (house) at Marina Anthemion
The house of Hatzidimitriou is located at the lower quarter of the municipal district of Marina, in the former municipality of Anthemia which is now integrated in the broader Municipality of Naoussa.
The Hatzidimitriou konaki is a unique building across Imathia and one of the important modern monuments of the region and has being declared as a local landmark.
The municipal district of Anthemia intends to repair the building and utilize it for cultural, educational and developmental purposes. Specifically, it intends to use it as an rural center for the service of residents, that is, as a center of information and promotion of agricultural products, as well as a library, a conference center and a folklore museum with emphasis on rural life in the region.
It was built in 1840, under the Ottoman Empire, from the patriarch of the family Hatzidimitriou who survived the destruction of Naoussa after the revolt of the city in 1822. This beautiful building was donated to the municipal district of Anthemia by Miss Marigoula Hatzidimitriou in 2007, after years of efforts by the municipal authorities. It was recognized as a landmark building by the Ministry of Culture, after years of efforts that began in 2005 (by the then deputy mayors S. Keremidou and D. Kyriakidis). Today, the municipality has already completed the study for the restoration and maintenance of the building and seeks to secure funding for the project.
In 2013 the renovation of the building “Konak” Marina joined the program funding from the NSRF.
(Source: http://www.maknews.gr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=789:2009-09-14-20-54-59&catid=3:politismos&Itemid=61http://www.naoussa.gr/files/ΕΤΗΣΙΟ%20PROGRAMMA%20DRASIS%202013.pdf)

[http://medusa.libver.gr/bitstream/123456789/3674/7/Niaousta126-005ktirio_mougri.pdf] )

[http://medusa.libver.gr/bitstream/123456789/3674/7/Niaousta126-005ktirio_mougri.pdf])

 

  • Πέτρινο – Βέτλανς Ναϊάς

Πρόκειται για διώροφο κτίσμα (ισόγειο και όροφος) με ξύλινη στέγη, που η μορφολογία του υποδηλώνει την ιδιαίτερη βαρύτητα της, μέχρι πρότινος χρήσης του (κτίριο διοίκησης – γραφείων Βέτλανς). Ενσωματώθηκε στο κυρίως κτίριο της Βέτλανς (οδός Νοσοκομείου) γύρω στα 1970. Όλο το κτίριο «βλέπει», με τον άξονα της μεγάλης του διάστασης, στην κοίτη της Αράπιτσας και το Δημοτικό Πάρκο και βρίσκεται δίπλα στο αρδευτικό φράγμα του ΤΟΕΒ. Η συνολική επιφάνεια κάθε ορόφου είναι 279,00 τ.μ.

Το ισόγειοτου κτιρίου προϋπήρχε και αποτελούσε μέχρι σήμερα χώρο μηχανημάτων. Ο όροφος χτίστηκε πάνω στο προϋπάρχον ισόγειο το οποίο και επενδύθηκε με πουρόπετρα (πάχους 10 εκ. περίπου), σαν να επρόκειτο για κανονική λιθοδομή με ξυλοδεσιές παραδοσιακού στυλ. Στο καινούριο όροφο η κατασκευή είναι πλινθοδομή που εναλλάσσεται με κατακόρυφα ξύλινα στοιχεία και μεγάλα ανοίγματα παραθύρων. Επίσης φέρει αρχιτεκτονικές προεξοχές 40 εκ. περίπου τύπου «σαχνισί» και ημιυπαίθριο χώρο τύπου «λιακωτό». Ο όροφος αποτελούσε τον κύριο χώρο γραφείων και το εσωτερικό του φέρει ξυλεπένδυση από αμερικάνικο κωνοφόρο υψηλής ποιότητας.

Υπάρχουν εξαιρετικώς ενδιαφέροντα στοιχεία, που ενώ παραπέμπουν έντονα στην Παραδοσιακή Μακεδονίτικη Αρχιτεκτονική, εντούτοις δηλώνουν με σαφήνεια την αίσθηση του καινούριου.

Στη συνέχεια υλοποιήθηκε η συντήρηση και επανάχρηση αυτού του κτιρίου γραφείων, σε χώρο πολλαπλών καλλιτεχνικών δραστηριοτήτων κυρίως με εκθεσιακή μορφή (ισόγειο), και όλους τους απαραίτητους χώρους διοίκησης (όροφος). Στα πλαίσια του έργου προβλέφθηκε η διατήρηση του υφιστάμενου βαρύτιμου ξύλινου διάκοσμου, λόγω της καλής κατάστασής του και λόγω της αξιολόγησής του ως ποιοτικά πολύ καλό δείγμα αρχιτεκτονικής και διακοσμητικής δημιουργίας.

Ιστορία του εργοστασίου της Βέτλανς
Η Βέτλανς Νάουσα ήταν ένα από τα πιο φημισμένα εργοστάσια και κατασκεύαζε μάλλινο ύφασμα για τις ανάγκες του στρατού. Ιδρύθηκε το 1907 και κατεργαζόταν πλήρως έρια, παράγοντας μάλλινο ύφασμα. Το εργοστάσιο λειτούργησε μέχρι το 1938, και οι εγκαταστάσεις του καταστράφηκαν το 1949. Το νέο εργοστάσιο κατασκευάστηκε στην ίδια θέση στο τέλος της δεκαετίας του ‘60 και παρήγαγε τις φημισμένες κουβέρτες ΒΕΤΛΑΝΣ-ΝΑΟΥΣΑ. Το εργοστάσιο ανθίζει και κατακλύζει την αγορά με κουβέρτες μετά το 1950. Η αποβιομηχάνιση χτυπά την πόρτα της Ελλάδας και της Νάουσας την δεκαετία του 1980. Το εργοστάσιο κλείνει και εγκαταλείπεται.

Μετατροπή σε κτίριο πολιτισμού
Σήμερα, στην εποχή της αποβιομηχάνισης, ένα από τα ιστορικά εργοστάσια της Νάουσας, η Βέτλανς, μετατρέπεται σε Κέντρο Τεκμηρίωσης της Βιομηχανικής Ιστορίας του τόπου. Ένας σύγχρονος μουσειακός χώρος όπου οι επισκέπτες της πόλης θα μπορούν να γνωρίσουν από κοντά, τη μεγάλη συμβολή της Κλωστοϋφαντουργίας στη Νάουσα για έναν και πλέον αιώνα. Στους Εκθεσιακούς χώρους του Κέντρου Τεκμηρίωσης θα υπάρχουν εκθέματα από όλα τα εργοστάσια της Νάουσας και της περιοχής, παλιά μηχανήματα, εξαρτήματα μηχανών, εργαλείων κ.λπ., καθώς και φωτογραφικό υλικό με τα κτίρια, το ανθρώπινο δυναμικό και στοιχεία από τη μεγάλη βιομηχανική παράδοση της πόλης. Στη Βιβλιοθήκη με εξειδικευμένο περιεχόμενο, θα συγκεντρωθούν και θα φυλαχτούν υπάρχοντα αρχεία των βιομηχανιών αλλά και αρχεία προφορικών μαρτυριών εργαζομένων κλπ. Στο αναψυκτήριο με θέα στο ποτάμι ο επισκέπτης θα ηρεμεί ακούγοντας τον ήχο του ποταμού και παρατηρώντας την άφθονη βλάστηση που κυριαρχεί.

Το μεγάλο έργο επανάχρησης του πρώην εργοστασίου «Βέτλανς» σε χώρο πολιτισμού, τουριστικής προβολής καθώς και διοικητικών δραστηριοτήτων, το οποίο ως έργο ενσωματώνεται στον ολοκληρωμένο σχεδιασμό ανάδειξης και ενοποίησης του Αστικού Χώρου της Νάουσας μαζί με μια σειρά άλλων συμπληρωματικών και συμβατών έργων με αυτό, περιλαμβάνει:

  • Τη νέα Δημοτική Βιβλιοθήκη.
  • Τα Εικαστικά Εργαστήρια του Δήμου Νάουσας.
  • Αίθουσα διαλέξεων & προβολών δυναμικότητας περίπου 130 θέσεων
  • Το νέο Κέντρο Εξυπηρέτησης Πολιτών (Κ.Ε.Π.) του Δήμου Νάουσας.
  • Γραφείο Τουριστικών πληροφοριών με την αξιοποίησης σύγχρονων τεχνολογικώνμέσων.
  • Αναψυκτήριο – κυλικείο με θέα τον κάμπο.
  • Χώρους υγιεινής, αποθήκες.
  • Υπαίθριο χώρο στάθμευσης οχημάτων.

(Πηγές: http://www.dimotikiananeosi.gr/έργα/πολιτιστικες-υποδομες/επαναχρηση-πρωην-βιομηχανικου-κτιριου-βετλανς-σε-πολυχωρο-πολιτισμου;http://www.dimotikiananeosi.gr/έργα/πολιτιστικες-υποδομες/πετρινο-βετλανς-ναϊας
Η Βιομηχανική Κληρονομιά της Νάουσας, Κέντρο Περιβαλλοντικής Εκπαίδευσης Νάουσας: http://kpenaousas.gr/el/θεματικά-δίκτυα/βιομηχανική-κληρονομιά)

 

  • Κονάκι στη Μαρίνα Ανθεμίων

Το κονάκι Χατζηδημητρίου βρίσκεται στον κάτω μαχαλά του δημοτικού διαμερίσματος Μαρίνα του πρώην δήμου Ανθεμίων που έχει πλέον υπαχθεί στον ευρύτερο Δήμο Νάουσας.

Το κονάκι Χατζηδημητρίου, ένα μοναδικό στο είδος του κτίριο σε όλη την Ημαθία, είναι ένα από τα σημαντικά νεότερα μνημεία της περιοχής και έχει ανακυρηχθεί διατηρητέο.

Ο Δήμος Ανθεμίων σκοπεύει να επισκευάσει και να αξιοποιήσει το κτίριο για πολιτιστικές, μορφωτικές και αναπτυξιακές χρήσεις. Συγκεκριμένα, προτίθεται να το χρησιμοποιήσει ως ένα «αγροτικό Κ.Ε.Π.», δηλαδή ένα κέντρο ενημέρωσης και προβολής αγροτικών προϊόντων, αλλά και ως βιβλιοθήκη, συνεδριακό κέντρο και λαογραφικό μουσείο με έμφαση στην αγροτική ζωή της περιοχής.

Το κτίριο κτίστηκε το 1840, επί οθωμανικής αυτοκρατορίας, από τον γενάρχη της οικογένειας που είχε διασωθεί από την καταστροφή της Νάουσας μετά την εξέγερση της πόλης το 1822. Το όμορφο κτίριο δωρίθηκε στο Δήμο Ανθεμίων από την κ. Μαριγούλα Χατζηδημητρίου το 2007, μετά από προσπάθειες ετών της δημοτικής αρχής. Αναγνωρίστηκε ως διατηρητέο κτίριο από το υπουργείο Πολιτισμού, μετά από προσπάθειες ετών που ξεκίνησαν το 2005 (από τους τότε αντιδημάρχους κ. Σ. Κερεμίδου και Δ. Κυριακίδη). Σήμερα ο Δήμος έχει ήδη ολοκληρώσει την μελέτη αναπαλαίωσης και συντήρησης του κτιρίου και επιδιώκει την εξασφάλιση χρηματοδότησης για την υλοποίηση του έργου.

Το 2013 η ανακαίνιση του κτιρίου «Κονάκι» Μαρίνας εντάχθηκε στο πρόγραμμα χρηματοδότησης από το ΕΣΠΑ.

(Πηγή: http://www.maknews.gr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=789:2009-09-14-20-54-59&catid=3:politismos&Itemid=61,
http://www.naoussa.gr/files/ΕΤΗΣΙΟ%20ΠΡΟΓΡΑΜΜΑ%20ΔΡΑΣΗΣ%202013.pdf