(Source: Th. Gavriilides, Sculptures of Veroia and Naoussa, Veroia, 2004)
A. The bust of Zafeiraki
This bronze work of sculptor Katerina Chalepas-Katsatou, which belongs to the municipality of Naoussa, and is located in the Kiosk, the Garden of Heroes of Naoussa, “under the shadow” of the sacred sycamores where the great slaughter took place.
Zafirakis Theodosiou Logothetis (1773-1822) fought bravely and was killed in battle in Soufoulio, in a forest in the valley, between the villages Stavros and Episkopi, along with Giannakis Karatasios and several companions, a few days after the Holocaust of Naoussa.
His son, Philip, escaped from Soufoulio, but was arrested on his way to Albania, and transferred to the monastery where he was executed on April 16, 1822.
The wife of Zafeirakis, the national martyr Zafeirakaina, captured in Seli along with other wives of captains and her daughter Efthimia. Zafeirakaina was martyrized in Thessaloniki. The fate of Efthimia, Zafeirakis’ daughter, is ignored. According to a folk song she joined a harem.
B. The bust of old-Karatasios
This is also a bronze work of sculptor Katerina Chalepas-Katsatou, belonging to the municipality of Naoussa, and located in the Kiosk, the Garden of Heroes of Naoussa, “under the shadow” of the sacred sycamores.
Old-Karatasios managed to escape from the turmoil of Naoussa along with his sons Tsiamis (Dimitrios) and Kotoulas and continued his struggle against the Turks in various parts of southern Greece. During the Holocaust of Naoussa, he lost his son Giannakis and his wife, who was captured and martyred in Thessaloniki.
C. The bust of Angelis Gatsos
It is attributed to the sculptor Peter Moraitis from Tinos and located in the garden of the Folk Museum Naoussa, next to a bust of Captain Akritas.
Angelis Gatsos (1765-1839) escaped the turmoil of Naoussa and along with his brother Petros, he took refuge in Southern Greece, where he took part in several battles against the Turks, in which he excelled.
His wife, four daughters and his son Nicholaos were captured in Naoussa. After several failed attempts, he only managed to release his son, who then served in the Greek army.Angelis Gatsos died in 1839, old and poor. He is considered as one of the bravest fighters of the Revolution of 1821.
D. The busts of the benefactors of Naoussa
In Naoussa, there are four marble busts, also curated by sculptress Catherine Chalepas-Katsatou.
It is the busts of Naoussa benefactors, brothers Chr. Lanara, Stavros, Theodore Thomas and of Fokionas Pechlivanis, all located in the courtyard-foregarden of the General Prefectural Hospital of Naoussa.
By establishing (1938-1940) the Hospital, the brothers Christodoulou Lanara and Fokion D. Pehlivanis, covered a very important lack and they fairly considered as the leading benefactors of the city of Naoussa and its region. Apart from the work offered to thousands of men and women in their factories, they also cared for their good health, the utmost of the goods of life. The brothers Christodoulou Lanara and Fokion Pehlivanis were not just businessmen (industrialists). Above all, they were fellow men. Their benefactions were plenty. They loved their homeland as few did.
The commission of the sculpted busts to the great sculptor Katerina Chalepa-Katsatou and the attribution of their names to the street that passes in front of the Hospital “Brothers Lanara and Fokionos Pechlivanis Street” was fulfilling a sacred duty of the people of Naoussa to their deserving fellow citizens.
E. The bust of Grigorios Trompakas
In the square of “Diikitirio” of Naoussa, stands alone, as if it was made for some other location, the bust of another great benefactor of Naoussa, Gregorios Trompakas.
The bust of Gregorios Trompakas is made of copper, while its pedestal of average height should be made of marble. The sculptor is yet unknown.
Gregorios Trompakas was well-known for the great donation of the “Kaneli forest” to the municipality of Naoussa. He felt proud that, at the end of his life, he had fulfilled the dream of a lifetime: benefit his hometown, which he had left for many years being an immigrant in America, where he prospered.
F. The Heroum of Naoussa
The heroum of Naoussa is located between the Officers’ Club and the Kiosk (garden of Heroes), opposite the first city nursery school, with a free view to the vast plain up to Thessaloniki, when the atmosphere is clear.
It is a synthesis of the sculptor Lazaros Lameras. It consists of a statue of a Macedonian Chieftain mounted on a medium height pedestal. Behind the statue of the Macedonian fighter, a tall altar is raised with a “burning” torch. The entire composition is made of white marble, but it has three embossed copper plates, which are placed at the top of the altar, on three sides, north, east and south, and show scenes from the holocaust of 1822, the Macedonian struggle and the Civil War.
G. The bust of Captain Akritas
In the foregarden of the Historical and Folklore Museum of Naoussa, on the street St. Demetrios, next to the bust of the hero of the Revolution of 1821 Angelis Gatsos, is the bust of Captain Akritas mounted onto a marble pedestal.
The bust of Captain Akritas, like that of Angelis Gatsos is bronze and curated by the same artist, sculptor Petros Moraitis.
The Mazarakis – Ainian Constantinos (1869-1949) was an artillery officer. He took part first in the Greek-Turkish war of 1897 as officer of an artillery. Then, he fought in the Macedonian Struggle (1904-1908), under the nickname “Captain Akritas”. During the Balkan wars of 1912-1913, he was fortunate enough to be the first to enter as a liberator in several Macedonian cities. In 1919 he became Major-General and assumed command of the division of Xanthi. He retired at his own request in 1926. He died in 1949.
H. The monument of the National Resistance
Τhe monument of the National Resistance of Naoussa is also a composition, like the Monument of the Pontiac immigrants of the city, with several common elements but also different ones.
It consists of a bronze relief of an array of four forms (three men and one woman) raising and waving the banner of the National Resistance.
This representation is mounted on top of a high gradient column constructed from limestone. Just below the relief mentioned above, a marble plate is placed in the same column, bearing the following inscription:
EAM – ELAS – EPON [The three independent armed organisations for the resistance against the occupation by the Germans]
The Monument of National Resistance of Naoussa, which rests in a triple podium made of ironstones, is located in Square of Eirini (Peace), near the south shore of Arapitsa”.
The artist who created the work is yet unknown.