The monastery of the Prophet Elias is located on the left bank of the Aliakmonas river, near the village of Asomata, 8 km. from the town of Veroia. It is one of the oldest monasteries in the area, and, today, only a small sized church survives in the architectural style of the one-aisled basilica. We do not know exactly when the monastery was built, but it is probable that it was founded in the late 16th century. This dating is based firstly on the inscription on the church preserved to this day, indicating that the church was inaugurated in 1570 and informing us that it was originally dedicated to Virgin Mary, and secondly on its form of masonry, that leads us to the period of the Ottoman reign.
The church’s exterior is not of particular architectural interest, except for the eastern wall of the sanctuary. The apse of the sanctuary is three-sided and it has a decorative part made of stone that runs all three sides. The church suffered damage over the time but was maintained by several repairs and interventions that took place in the recent past. Above the lintel of the entrance there is a blind arch on which parts of a damaged fresco of the Virgin have survived. In the sanctuary, apart from the central apse and the apses of the prothesis and the Diakonikon, there are two more apses in the nothern and southern parts of its walls.
The particular value of this little monastery stands on its few, but of a great artistic value, frescos, of which the most remarkable are located in the sanctuary. The name of the painter remains unknown, but the style leads us to the conclusion that the church was painted by a painter directly related to the environment of artists that painted many churches of Veroia. For this reason the frescos of the Prophet Elias monastery are considered as part of a common late byzantine hagiographic tradition that was applied to many churches and monasteries of the central-western Macedonia. We have very few historical information concerning the monastery, such as that the monastery was probably destroyed during the revolution in Naoussa in 1822, following the fate of other monasteries in the area. Today, none of the buildings of the monastery has survived, except for the catholic.