Arapitsa river stems from the thicket of Agios Nikolaos, at the foothills of Mount Vermio. It follows a trajectory of two kilometers passing through apple trees, enters the city of Naoussa crossing it dynamically, then descends to the plains of Emathia to conclude its row in “Τrench 66”.
Arapitsa is named after the dark color of its waters. The landscapeof Arapitsa induces awe to the visitor, as it forms impressive waterfalls and the positions “Stoumpanoi” and “Kiosk” as well as the river bed, in the city, is deep and sharp.
Arapitsa is an inexhaustible supplier of water for Naoussa and the rich plant cultures of its rural area and a generating force in the past for the mills, the watersanders, the generators of textile factories and the Electric Company of Naoussa.
It is ideal, thanks to its crystal clear waters, for the cultivation of trout, a rich habitat, a rare case for easy access to the river sources with drinking water, a paradise for amateur fishers, a colorful place for tours and riparian walks, a dreamlike world for the imaginative visitors who canfantasize about dancing fairies while watching the spinning of its foamy waters. It has also been a wet tomb for the Naoussa women thrown therein in order to avoid being captured by the Turks during the revolution of 1822 and a refuge for the persecuted of the Ottoman reign and the German Occupation. Arapitsa is associated to many aspects of the life and history of Naoussa, which has probably derived its name from the dominant presence of the water of Arapitsa in the area (νάω= flow => Naoussa).